Senior Research Manager (Business Development)
Johannesburg, South Africa
We are a crazy blend of academic visionaries, passionate marketers and research innovators who are determined to take research forward every day and bringing a sense of 'coolness' to it. We help our clients to let go and delegate real power to consumers, the ultimate key to making better marketing decisions and driving business growth. Today, more than 500 enthusiasts working in seventeen offices get their energy from helping world leading brands to excel in marketing and to develop deeper connections with consumers on a global scale. Our recipe for success: a never-ceasing enthusiasm, a lot of hard work, a culture of sharing, and permanent innovation in research methods and marketing thought leadership. And last but not least: positively surprising our clients every day.
Senior Research Manager (Business Development)
As Senior Research Manager (Business Development) within our Johannesburg office you will be part of a team of enthusiastic marketers and researchers who are determined to empower people to shape the future of brands. Through your passion for data and consumer insights, you will inspire marketers of cool companies across a range of industries – including media, finance, personal care, pharmaceutical, retail, and more. You will be responsible for marketing analysis and reporting based on extensive market research data and working closely with the other Research Managers and Project Managers across our offices.
In addition to your research, team and client- management responsibilities (commensurate with that of a Senior Research Manager), this role also carries a defined new business mandate with accompanying KPIs and sales targets. As such, we are looking for candidates with proven networking capabilities and (preferably) an established network from having worked on agency side (in market research and/or marketing). Candidates with a keen sense of commercial acumen and a natural aptitude for sales are prized.
In fulfillment of your business development responsibilities, you work in support of and together with our Business Director (who is largely responsible for making sure the team delivers on its commercial targets). You will also work closely with our global business development partners and management.
PORTRAIT OF SOMEONE WHO IS PERFORMING WELL IN THIS POSITION
The following aspects portray someone performing well within this role at this level:
- This person is now responsible for the entire life cycle of multiple projects and is competent in delivering all Activities and Solutions with minimal support from team management.
- Whilst this person is now fully matured in terms of being a project manager, Activity designer and deliverer of Solutions, they are also confident in dealing with clients.
- Their experience now enables them to oversee the work of more junior consultants, coaching them on the job, and ensuring that the combined work meets the required Beacon standards.
- You identify new prospects and industries to target (in line with our business strategy).
- You onboard new clients with independence and as a result of your own sales efforts.
- You manage handover of new clients and projects to team members, whilst still ensuring a level of oversight to ensure client happiness whilst mining for additional business opportunities.
- You are involved in training and upskilling your fellow colleagues.
- You are able to have difficult conversations with clients and internal colleagues alike.
- You are responsible for the entire project cycle (on all project types and complexities).
- You are beginning to guide others in the design of Activities.
Analysis and Reporting
- You are beginning to give directions to junior consultants as they perform their analysis and create reports.
- You are becoming an expert at finalizing conclusions and impactful recommendations, that receive positive feedback from Beacon and clients alike.
- You are beginning to oversee client presentations by junior consultants, passing on your expertise.
- You co-moderate client workshops / brainstorms.
- You are beginning to oversee the handling of clients on projects.
- You take the lead on difficult client conversations (if needed).
- You take the lead on creating account plans.
Specific Expertise required for the role: sales and new business development (i.e. winning clients and business):
- You actively contribute to the acquisition of new clients by creating your own leads, scheduling sales visits, inviting and responding to briefs, and converting sales.
- You attend sales calls in support of other team members.
- You can design proposals for the full range of InSites products and services.
- You follow costing best-practice, and actively look for ways to optimize sales and margins.
- You play an advisory role on quotes and proposals prepared by other team members.
- You take the lead in introducing the InSites offer in networking sessions.
- You are an InSites ambassador.
- You support senior colleagues on initiatives relating to your specific expertise and assist in the upskilling of all colleagues (junior and senior) ito sales skills.
- You coach a group of consultants.
- You identify areas of development and encourage individuals to seek out the relevant opportunities and training needed.
- You support a wider group in your team, playing a central role in sharing experiences/best practices.
- You support senior consultants in their management of team.
- You understand, explain and activate management decisions.
- You are able to influence the happiness and performance of a large group of people.
- Expected to proactively seek out involvement in the creation and delivery of training.
- Able to take the lead, with support from the Learning & Development manager.
- +/- 6 years of experience in a similar role, preferably with quantitative and qualitative expertise.
- You have advanced knowledge of all the tools used for performing your key responsibilities.
- You can put knowledge on (new) tools into practice.
- Proven research knowledge with solid analytics skills.
- Ability to manage a research project from start to end.
- Basic knowledge and experience in using of the following is recommended:
- Microsoft Office (essential)
- Statistical software (SPSS, R, SAS, etc.)
- Microsoft CRM (advantageous)
Your key competences
- Entrepreneurial and market-driven spirit with strategic vision & focus
- High level of pro-activity, initiative, energy, enthusiasm, and professionalism
- Team player with coaching qualities
- Ability to convince customers
- Analytical mind
- Result oriented
- Systematic and organizational orientation
- Creative, humorous & fun to work with 😉
Joining InSites Consulting is joining a highly passionate and dedicated team where innovation and forward thinking are stimulated. You will be working in an informal, fast paced and global culture where chances for personal development and learning opportunities are ample. We strive to be an open and transparent company in which everyone is invited to participate. It’s a fact, we aim high! So, from time to time we have to let off some steam. Fun is definitely part of our culture.Applyapply later